Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sincere Rejection of Offer

With my work getting a bit messed up, I can hardly find any time any more any how any days these weeks to update the blog, but here it is. Five entries in April is very depressing. Anyway, on with today's topic.

I now know the MOST EFFECTIVE way to reject those hotels offer that I've been getting a lot lately, and it all happened when I sincere request for more information, whereby the telesales person themselves say "Oh, never mind then." Hehe... this was what happened.

I got a call from Lonusbink (u know the real name lah) the other day, they're introducing a personal insurance cover for Lonusbink customers. Though not free, it seems to be a very low premium and I *was* interested to know more. Anyway, what's with these companies all starting to introduce insurance in their membership?!? Yaja Cusjo also intro-ed insurance. A few other companies also doing the same. I'm waiting for my favourite mamak shop to intro a health insurance so that if kena food poisoning from their food, can get compensation.

Back to topic, I actually requested that they send the proposed insurance cover via fax so that I can read and then agree. I mean, this is money, what happened if they say they cover up to RM100,000 but in the end you get a policy stating coverage of RM10,000. And then the reply that I never expected to hear came "Sorry sir, we don't do that. bla bla bla." In short, the phone conversation was as follows (not direct quote lah, how to remember word for word what was being mentioned).

Me: Can you just fax the proposed insurance coverage to me so that I can read it first?
Telemarketer: Sorry sir, we don't do that. We only conduct transactions via phone.
Me: Oh! So how will I know that I will get exactly as you explained verbally?
Telemarketer: It has been our business like this, sir.
Me: Sorry, I've been involved in a lot of legal cases lately , so I will actually need it in black & white with your company letterhead offering me the insurance. I cannot accept verbal agreement.
Telemarketer: Sorry to hear that, sir. We really don't fax anything to customers. Anyway, have a nice day.

Duh! And so happens that the very next day, Bayview Beach Resort Penang called me for the THIRD time each time different telemarketer and another hotel calling me for the second time, and I said....

Me: That's an interesting package. Can you please fax the package information over to me, and also include that you are giving me those "bonus" that only for me that you mentioned. I just want to make sure the "bonus" is not already part of the package to begin with coz' I'll be checking with my friends who have taken your package.
Telemarketer: Err... err... actually the bonus was just introduced! I can fax you the information list of the package, or I can email you.
Me: Well, just a cover letter with your company name stating that you'd like to introduce the package, along with the pricing and information, signed by your sales manager.
Telemarketer: We can only send the package list, we don't usually send a cover letter. Anyway, our sales manager is on leave today.
Me: No problem then, when your sales manager come back, just tell him or her that I need a cover letter with your proposed package. Can ah?
Telemarketer: It's ok sir, we really don't fax over these things. Do you have any friends who you'd like to introduce the package? (She knows she can't persuade me, not trying my friends?!)
Me: Well, if you can give me the letter, then I can help introduce for you.
Telemarketer: No no, I'll need to call them in person.
Me: In that case, you send me the cover letter and the package information first, then I'll give the numbers to you.
Telemarketer: Alright sir, nevermind. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I played too much with that phonecall from Penang. Ya lah, three times cuba to get me to purchase the package. The other hotel telemarketer, I was more straight forward.

Telemarketer: Bla bla hotel, bla bla good price, bla bla you won't regret, bla bla you can also lay me, bla bla as long as I get sales, bla bla. (kidding about the last two part. :P)
Me: I'm quite busy right now. Can you actually send me a fax of the package along with a cover letter introducing the package, signed by your sales manager?
Telemarketer: Sorry sir, we only do phone call transaction.
Me: I insist on seeing black and white from your company with an authorized signature. Can you do that?
Telemarketer: We can't sir.
Me: That's okay then, I'm not interested.
Telemarketer: Ok, have a nice day sir.

So, now, for the benefit of customer's safety against false promises, I suggest all of you to ask for a black & white fax of the proposal. In case these hotels finally get their wits to use faxes, you still have the rights to turn down, ALSO in black & white. :D Bagi nampak sikit that you are seriously turning down the offer.

No comments: