Monday, February 06, 2006

You Deserve It

Warning: This entry may seem to contradict my earlier entries about finance, but seriously, it does not.

During a certain financial crisis I once had three years ago which I had to spend a week using only the coins from my car, I changed my lifestyle somewhat. And reading those ‘tips’ to reduce monthly expenditure, I cut down on drinks during meals, and just have a plain water. Beneficial to health I agree, but also so-called beneficial for my wallet. If I don’t buy an Ice Tea at every lunch, I’ll save RM1.20 each time which translated to RM24.00 per month.

Then there was a time when I had to walk to a certain bank to put in a cheque for one of my tenant. The walking journey was not that far, about 15 minutes of brisk walking. On the way back, while sweating I walked past a convenience store conveniently located at a convenient road. I so much wanted to get a cool 100 Plus. Then I thought, hey, I’m just five minutes away from my office, I can get my free plain water from the pantry. And so I walked on.

Then it got me thinking. A 100 Plus will cost RM1.50, and it’s a small “want” and not a “need”. Still, RM1.50 (or even RM24.00 per month) when you’re earning over RM1000, it’s just a small percentage. Who are we who don’t flinch paying RM30 for petrol driving to and from work, who don’t flinch having to pay RM1.50 toll to and from work, who don’t flinch having to pay the bank a lot of extra money for our cars and house, and especially those who don’t flinch voting through sms for a celebrity who don’t even know your name at RM1.90 per sms, or sms on Channel @15 just to chat?? Anyway, going out of topic here.

Back to topic. Why do we accept paying these amount of money elsewhere, but we are not willing to get a simple RM1.50 worth of drink, or even a burger that costs RM4.00? These are hardly luxury items, yet they satisfy a “want” and they make you happy. There is nothing wrong with getting a chocolate bar at RM8.90, a small percentage of your salary, just to motivate yourself and say “Hey, life’s a wonderful thing!”

Analysis. (You may want to skip this part). As human beings, we are prone to not realize something we don’t hold physically. Simply put, we accept the interests on our credit cards amounting to RM35, but we have problems buying RM35 meal. We accept paying parking that costs RM4.00 – RM8.00, but we think twice to buy a good RM3.95 pen. That is why, when someone loses RM50 due to carelessness, it’s faster to accept the loss, than having to buy RM50 shoes, which after a few wears, they don’t fit right, and you regret buying it.

Again, the ones who should be receiving the most from your salary are yourself and your loved ones, not others. This one I have to agree with Robert Kiyosaki. He mentioned in his book “Rich Dad Poor Dad” to spend on yourself first, then on others. That is, keep aside your “needs” and some “wants”, before paying your bills and stuff. I prefer to put it as, you don’t need a budget if you don’t like doing it, but if you want to spend something on yourself, and you see that you can afford it easily (note: easily! Not a PDA Phone with 12 months payment!), then go ahead and buy it, and enjoy it.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna stop writing and get myself a pack of Twisties, coz’ I deserve it, and you deserve something for yourself too today. Before you go home, go get something that’ll make you smile, or better yet, go get something that’ll make your loved ones smile.

1 comment:

eLLe K said...

Mmmmm...Twisties! Now I want one! But then again... there's something else I want really bad too :P