Friday, February 24, 2006

Managers Title

This is a half rant and half observation post. The rant first...

This month is a superbly tiring month for me that I don't even have time to update my blog. Basically, I'm okay with my work, just that it sometimes amuses me at what I have to do since there are still no managers around for decision making. I have chaired another 'maintenance' meeting, this time it's even worst. When the meeting commence, I practically said "The purpose for this meeting is to.... bla bla bla, (looking at supplier), basically the things we need are bla bla bla, if you have any questions, these are the maintenance and security staff who will help answer your queries." And that's it! From then on until the meeting end, I just sit and listen coz' I have absolutely no knowledge on whatever they're talking about. Sigh.... even when the Bomba came to inspect the fire safety of the building, I had to get involved. Amusing, but really takes away time from marketing. End of rant.

There is a growing trend, actually, the trend is already in place, that the moment a new staff comes into the company, they're given a "Manager" title, or in some real estate industry, they're given "Senior Real Estate Negotiator". The pay is no different from that of an executive. The reason comes from people we meet who says the following "No, I don't want to waste my time talking to an executive. Can I speak to your boss instead?"

Yes, that's right. It's already a norm in the industry that says, executives cannot make a desicion. They're just a go-between. Might as well talk to someone in power. Power or not, I have met these managers and senior negotiators who still say "I have to get back to you on that." Duh, still NO power of decision making. What's the use of giving a title? It's a con job actually, conning people to really speak to non-decision makers in the end. :D So what's the use of that title?

No comments: