Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Human Mind: Controlling The Body

Side note: I will not get a computer by first quarter as I will wait for Dual Core Processor to drop in price. While many people will say it's a waste for Dual Core if I'm not multitasking, I do need the second core purely for chess analysis. I'd probably get the compy in August.

Most of my friends are already very aware of what I'm writing in this post because I've been bringing up this issue once in a while since 1998. The reason for this to be in the post is for me to have it documented, and not just stay on my mind, to wilt away. Come to think of it, I should document questions that I've yet to ask experts, but that's another post.

When I made a blunder while playing chess back in 1998, and saw my Knight swiped away for free, this coldness came over me. The panic, the sheer embarassment over my mistake. Believe it or not, my hands were cold. Our hands are cold when we're sitting alone, afraid of ghosts in the dark. Our hands are warm during anger, and we can even sweat being angry, or stressed!

You see, part of our body's temperature actually changes according to our emotions at that time. What I cannot accept is, why can't we control the temperature changes on our own? Who is Emotion, who is strong enough to control our body's temperature?? Why do fear, embarassment, anger and stress able to affect the body's temperature so greatly, while if you just sit down and say "now... hands, be cold!" and your hands will laugh at you... okay lah, if you hands really laugh at you, you're crazy.

Seriously, I've once in a while try to consciously change my body temperature, but to no avail. Somehow, we just don't know how, unless we ask Emotion for help. Simple, we just need to say, "Mind, please remind me of how I got beaten up by thugs last week that stole my wallet". Then the movie clip starts, then Emotion comes in and say "Grrrr.....", and Emotion adjusts the temperature control on our body. It's amazing. If you use memories, yes, you can change your body temperature, but why can't we do it consciously?? We can move our hands consciously. We can rub our eyes, dig our nose, wink at people, salivate or nose bleed when we see pretty girls (oops, okay, this one we cannot control), we can jump, and do so many things but sigh.... the search for the control of body temperature goes on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...actually, i have been thinking of the same thing. for example, when i was in my younger days, i hate to go to school sometimes. so, i will act like i was sick. but when i act, i am almost like falling sick for real.

I feel down, whole body start to feel uncomfortable, and a slight fever will come. and my hands can actually became very hot.

a few months ago, i actually doing a roadshow with my colleague. She was feeling really cold, and i told her, "hei, just believe that you're not cold and tell yourself your body will become warm...it works i tell you.....really...." okay...i admit, that time i was trying to impress a girl (although it's nothing really impressive) but my hands really became very hot...and when i touch her hands she was like "wah, really woh, it works!"

and the last thing is the magic show i watch. it's chris angel mindfreak. i think you will like it brader... but that episode was about super human strength. the chris angel guy actually train for 6 months, so he'll become strong to be able to lift a cab. but a cab is about 2 tons. no matter how hard you train is impossible. but according to him, it's like why an old lady can lift a car to save her young grandson. he's trying to tab into that part of human body.

so, he actually go to a taxi stand, ask a taxi to drive over, and he lifted that cab! my god, i am quite sure there's no camera trick, and he said he want young people to believe the power of their mind.... i think it's a good show...at least it's inspiring...no matter how real this is..... hehe....