Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sad State of Modern Living

Until today I still receive calls from hotel membership people asking me to be part of their hotel membership. Eeee.... horribly constructed sentence. Anyway, the method of selling is seriously putting into the subconscious minds on the "proper" modern living everyone should enjoy.

The varieties of selling point are as follows: -

1. Elegant and Luxurious
"Don't you want to spend time away from home and stay somewhere elegant and luxurious? We have a huge room, with amazing view, king-sized bed, etc yada yada." Though I accept and agree to some people's need to feel rich (like some of my friends going to car showroom to test out cars) I do think also that you cannot have that feeling daily, or weekly or even monthly in fact! Too much of a good thing will make you yearn it more and more.

No problem if you yearn being rich and actually put an effort to it, but most people wanna feel rich without putting the effort, so what happens?! Loans! Or the better word is being in debt! And this is for things that depreciate in value. I don't need to talk finance here, you know where this leads.

2. Shopping Malls Are Just Across The Street
"Sir, this hotel in Bangkok is located right in front of the shopping mall for you to do your shopping!" Shopping in this modern lifestyle has become a hobby. It's like "Hey, man, what you doing this weekend?" "I'm gonna be fishing, or maybe do a little bit of reading, and if my friends call me out, I guess we'll head to snooker" or "I'm going shopping, wha'dya think!?". I'm still wondering why "shopping" books are not listed under Hobbies categories in bookshops. "Idiot's Guide to Shopping" "Learn Shopping Today!" "Master Shopping in 24 Hours"

3. You eat for two, but only pay for one! You, as a member, gets to eat free of charge!
I know for a fact that most 4-5 star hotels charges at least RM60 per head (exclusive of 15% service and government tax). I always tell them that I will not eat in hotel at all for that kind o ridiculous pricing, even at RM69 for two people because it's totally absurb. Hotel food is cooked for the masses meaning it's not gonna be as delicious as compared to people who cook one meal at a time for a maximum of 4 people to eat. Luxury food, people, is to eat DELICIOUS food with someone special. The hotel ambience just doesn't meet the pricing they place on the food. So here, "Eating at hotels" is supposed to be a modern lifestyle?!?

4. Can't think of anything more from the conversation.

No comments: