Monday, January 23, 2006

Potential or Stretching Yourself Thin?

My lack of updating my blog came from ridiculous amount of work piling up on me due to manager's quitting and their tasks are assigned for me to do. Just eight months ago I'm concentrating fully on sales, then three months later I'm given a task of managing a serviced office on top of sales. Barely two months later, I have taken up liaison exec with all tenants of my building. And now, as two managers will be quitting this week itself, I have already been dumped legal documents for me to do some legal related tasks, and by Wednesday I'll be also managing the building's maintenance, of course, until both maintenance and legal/finance manager is replaced, whenever that will be.

Two kindergarten of thoughts arises here, one would be to look at it as potential, and another to look at it as danger. Some people would rub their hands together in glee, with the knowledge that more task = more responsibility = more indispensible = higher chance for promotion. I guess I can safely put this as the optimistic view. The pessimistic view will look at it as more task = less focus on each task = less performance on each task = higher chance for demotion/getting fired.

Whatever it is, I'm not trying to be optimistic or pessimistic. I'm going to be logical. With these tasks falling on me, I can already feel the "time vs work done" problem. I understand that there are many people out there who would love to be in my position holding so many responsibilities. What I need to do is prioritize. And my priority is to ensure that I deliver my work. To do so, I really need to analyse whether all these tasks can be handled effectively with the time given to me.

For one thing, these tasks require me to be in the building most of the time, therefore will affect my sales. If I'm out doing sales more, then the building will be in disarray with lack of management staff to handle any tenants' issues. Therefore, I have decided that I will need to let go of sales (with bosses' permission) until all the managers are replaced. With IT background and some other backgrounds not related to finance and engineering, I know I will not replace them anytime soon.

Anyway, this is not a business post. It's purely a post to myself to make sure I do not stretch myself too thin that I lose all potential.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aiyoh.....In Chinese I give you one 2 words, "加油!" (if you can't read it, must install chinese character encoding, hehe), in Japanese it's one word, "Gambate!", in Tamil....err... don't know..., basically all those just means "work hard". All the best brother....