Monday, February 11, 2008

Ethical Advertising & Cost of Luxury

I was waiting for my colleagues to clear the check-in at Sabah's terminal, to go back to KL. Then I saw this bubbly kid, maybe about 4-5 years old running to a candy shop. Holding the RM5 in his right hand, he approached the counter guy and asked for "Chip" (the only word I could hear). He was going to buy Famous Amous cookie, and I knew that it costs RM6.90 for the first 100gm. As expected, the counter dude said something, and he pulled back his RM5 and clenched it in his fist, somewhat embarassed. He walked away still looking at the chip, and then an airport lady approached him. I heard words like "You going to be ok?" while she adjusted his backpack. Ok, I knew he was travelling alone. Someone wherever he's flying off to will meet him there. After speaking to the lady, he looked at cheaper candies to buy. What transpired next is to your own imagination.

That episode reminded me of a very unethical advertising done by either KFC or McD in the late 90's. It was about having a meal for only RM4.99! In the advert, it even showed one kid approaching the counter with the RM5 in the hand. Funny thing is, he got what he wanted. How about that 5% government tax?!

It's a wonder how the advert got onto the air at all. So many parties would have noticed the mistake (or consciously midleading claim), but I guess all wanted their share of the advertisement money that nobody cared. That time I was wondering if there was ever any kid who go to the counter and got disappointed because the real price for the meal was RM5.24 after tax.

Cost of luxury, as what hit the little kid who thinks that RM5 could have bought that cookie. Another friend from Kedah got into a shock when he bought two scoops of ice-cream from Baskin Robbins. My friends and I were too late to stop him when he approached the counter. It seems that major cities and major brands are a dangerous boon to unsuspecting people who places value of products from what they are used to. It's sad when it happens.

Another memory (back in 1994) of such a cost of luxury is seeing a mother of two kids (girl and boy) who bought 3 beef burgers (that time was RM1.99 each) and shared one drink in Ampang Park's McD. Yet another memory (back in 2003) seeing one poor child's request to TV3 was just to have KFC for the family.

I think I've repeated many times. What is common to us is a luxury to a massive number of people. I hope everyone, little kids, big kids, old folks, can experience their wish, and be happy, than be disappointed most of the time, due to the only limitation being $$.

No comments: