Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Manifestation of Who You Are

What we are now is basically a product of how our mind thinks, what actions we did and what believe system we were, a few years back. However, due to the greed for instant gratification, we end up being what we are today no matter how much we intend to change.

It's sad to note that a positive gratification takes a lot longer time as compared to a negative gratification, err... no such thing as negative gratitude, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Simply put, a simple example of a quick negative "gratitude" is by slapping a complete stranger in the streets. The best example would be trust, which everyone knows that it takes many months to build trusts but one short-term event to destroy it. For real-estate point of view, it takes two years to build a condo, and only a week to level it to empty grounds.

Okay, enough of examples. I constantly need to remind myself that to reduce weight, I need to exercise regularly. I've failed many times. It's because of that "instant gratification" that I'm after. Two weeks of exercise and stepping on the scale to see some kind of results just doesn't cut it lor... so what happens? Demotivation, then stop exercising until I watch Rocky 2 again. Ohh.. must drink 6 raw eggs. That's where my mistake is, and then the whole process starts again.

I've always believe, ok, not always, but as of 2005, I started to believe that it takes at least 4 years of constantly doing something positive to finally achieve a result that you want, and then a bonus will also come in without you really asking for it. Why 4 years??? It's just a believe, just because I see that AirAsia did it from scratch and reach a crazy milestone in 4 years. So, where does this put me in terms of exercising? (note: this is purely just ONE part of me that I want to change, not really a desperate one as compared to finance, etc).

First of all, if I can put into discipline a routine of exercising at the same time with increased intensity, and be motivated for 6 months, something good will already come out from there. Putting another 3 1/2 years, I'm sure from a goal of "exercise to lose weight and keep fit", the bonus will jump in. Man, I can be a runner. Joining marathons after marathons trying to beat my old times. That's a boost to the personal ego as well! Sigh, men and egos. Eat your heart out, 4-years-ago dude.

Now if only we all (including myself) can just start something constantly for four years. It may be a long time, but really, it's not that long when you see one year passes by and hit yourself in the head saying "If only I had one year experience on bla bla bla....". Let's just kill the "If only" and really start something.

Good luck to all of you, and myself too.

No comments: