Thursday, March 09, 2006

Maintenance Day

Today is what I would call a "Maintenance Day". From troubleshooting of internet routers and gateways, to configuring emails, to troubleshoot motherboard with com port error, to getting myself involved with the REAL maintenance of the building. The last part was after lunch.

It's amazing to see what happens on certain occasions which RARELY happens. Yes, my building used to have power trips that affected several floors, sometimes even the whole building, but never has it been like it was today.

I was just done with lunch and was lepak-ing at the reception area when my receptionist got about two phonecalls on power trips on the high zones of the building. Then when I saw the "emergency light" came on (the rectangular white light, dunno how to explain), then I knew something bad was happening. I went to the new manager, told him we're experiencing power trip again, but maybe to a greater degree. Even then I saw my accounts assistance also answering calls of power trips.

What an experience, the moment we stepped out to the lift lobby, we hear screaming and banging and bells. Seems that the generator did not kick up and the lift was stuck halfway, with totally no power. We went through the fire escape to two floors down towards maintenance/security room, and the fire escape was pitch black. I can imagine how those people in the elevator must've felt. Pitch black with only my phone light to help me look for the steps, I cannot imagine what the people of 9/11 experienced, with panic and all.

Anyway, the entire maintenance crew was out running about on the power trips leaving only one staff in the room and she had to answer more calls asking about opening lifts, no power, no lights, no airconds. Kesian. Luckily, the power was up again within 5 minutes. Then comes the "What the hell happened?!?" part which I had to handle (being a tenant liaison person and all, which was not even in my employment letter). Things went ok after that. Just a somewhat harrowing experience for them. For me, it was err... mildly exciting seeing the panic. :P

2 comments:

eLLe K said...

In this instance.. I would have fainted already if I was in the elevator.
Errr...claustrophobic laa..

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what happened. A spy need some classified documents. so they create the 5 minutes blackout to shutdown the security. while you guys panic and busy to rescue the people in the lift, they downloaded all the files they needed and left.