Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Item of Value

As I've tendered my resignation, there have been a lot of things to do especially keeping all the reports in order and training new staff to take care of the works I've done and how to proceed after I'm gone. Anyway, that is not an excuse.

One simple question: If your house is on fire, and you have time to only take out THREE items from the house that's carryable by one hand (per item), what would they be? Also, if you want to take out any additional item at 10% risk (for every item) that you won't get out alive, are there more items to take out against that risk?

I'm asking this question specifically to understand the value we place on our possessions. Some men have it in this priority.... 1) Car 2) Wife 3) Children 4) Playstation 2 etc... while others may have 1) New sports rim 2) Laptop 3) Children 4) Mousepad .... 23) Wife... etc.

Being a married man, I guess the three items I will definitely save will be our passports (I consider this ONE item since they're placed together), my wallet and a file of documents (containing important documents) and get the hell outta there. If my son is in the house, my son alone will be it.... forget the passports and wallet, dowan to risk him getting burned. Seriously, I have absolutely no other items I consider of importance that I would risk even a little burn on my body for. I believe, with God's will, my mind, body and ability/skills are enough to get me through the entire event and rebuild what it lost.

Okay, let's forget that question. Now for another. Let's say your house is robbed, and the robber being so kind says "I will take EVERYTHING from your house, but will leave behind 3 items. What will they be?" Now it's a different story huh? You can remake your passport, can remake your IC in the wallet, bank books, etc. What will that 3 items be that you won't let the robber take away? Momentos from your past?

For me.... 1) My external HDD (this is where the backups of all family movies, pictures, archives of work, stories, etc is kept). 2) Wedding rings (this is a momento that I wish not to part with) 3) File of documents (in this file also exist momentos and receipts of my family).

If I were to be asked this question when I was single, it'll be 1) My external HDD 2) Most expensive item in the house 3) Second most expensive item in the house. :P

What would your choices be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things ya? Not living things? If include living things, my boys and nothing else, the others (husband,MIL, BIL, maids) can walk themselves.
If things, my handbag and my laptop because any item of importance will be in the handbag already.
Wah... so long you were gone, I was wondering what happened to you. Now i know, time to catch up with your wife, hehehe...

Anonymous said...

so hard to choose....hmm..
1. maybe my purse/digicam/handphone (all in one bag)
2. photo album
3. laptop

but cds camne? i love all my cds..mmg matilah kalau rumah terbakar..kete lagi..susah nye soklan nih..hahhaa

-azreenrahim-